Saturday, April 11, 2009

POST 3: I TOLD YOU NOT TO QUOTE

April 11, 2009
@Home

I re-read my first essay on Malayology & spotted some weak unscholarly remarks... Anyway this paper is not supported by proper citations/references as standard in reliable, scholarly works...
- SriGuntang is a HILL or BUKIT & not a RIVER... The river is named "BATANGHARI"...
But I remember to have read somewhere that Malays in that part of the NUSANTARA consider this JAMBI area as the CRADLE of MALAY CIVILIZATION...
-the ORANG BETAWI is a latter-day product (creation?) of DUTCH COLONIALISM in the capital city of JAKARTA... Apparently, people from different parts of the DUNIA MALAYU settled & congregated/intermingled in the port area and a "new" kind or breed of natives arose (like the Babas of Singapore) mixing different sub-cultures & the result is this Betawi Malay. But am not sure about it as a language... I met one Betawi Malay (Indonesian citizen) before & my other remarks regarding the Betawis depend on this brief relationship. So, it seems that Betawi Malays are not a genuine/original core group, unlike the Bugis or the Minangs etc...

I shall fix this essay & just re-post it in the future.

NEXT: MALAYOLOGISTS

No comments:

Post a Comment